CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Once in a BLUE moon....


Once in a blue moon, every now and then, once in a while, I will actually put my brain to work and it turns out pretty great. Let me start by telling you the back story, I don't know how it is at your house but at dinner time, we lack finesse. We have the staples that everyone loves {spaghetti and meatballs, chicken and pasta, ect.} But my poor little taste buds grow a little weary and would like to be wowed every once in a while. I do try to make things that are a little different, we are not talking escargots here, just something different. But usually it just backfires. So when I make out my grocery list I ask all of the kids what they would like to have over the next two weeks, Of course I get all the favs. Well, here comes the brain working part, I started thinking about how I could start teaching the kids to cook and actually get them to try something new. I came up with a pretty nifty idea. Chalkboard. When I could not find one at ANY store that was under a hundo, I decided to martha myself one.{she would be so proud} Anyway, Each of us, Randy included, is in charge of two nights over the next two weeks. They come up with the recipe, I do the shopping and then if it is their night, they help me prepare dinner. We have had a few snags, usually when it is Randy's night, but overall it has worked great and the kids are eating things that before they would not have touched. I guess that it comes from their vested interest in the meal. Like I said every once in a while I can dust off the ol hat and pull something out :-}

4 comments:

Tara Fisher said...

I love the dang cute chalkboard and what a fabulous idea! I think I might have to try that when my kids get a little older. We will have to swap some recipes. I just made a new one from my ward cookbook. It was so divine and super easy.

Aaron Smith said...

I love it. I want to make one too...how did you get that perfect shaped wood for the project...I may need a little help:)

Sarah

Julie said...

What a great idea. I'm glad we can keep in touch via blog now:)

Jymn and Shelby said...

Hey lady.....sorry, I haven't figured out how to change the background without loosing everything. I've read warnings everywhere that say your setting will be lost, etc. Bummer, since I would like to change my setting to go with the my moods/seasons.....
Love the Chalkboard, so cool!
Love,
Shelby